- It's the Destination That Counts
Americans hopeful after election of new world pope
In a country where one in 10 is a former Catholic, the election Wednesday of such an unprecedented pope pumped immediate energy into the American church.
Inside the conclave: extra omnes to habemus papam
VATICAN CITY — Three rounds of ballots had been cast with no winner, but it was becoming clear which way this conclave was headed.
Pope Francis’ choice of beloved saint’s name reflects ‘ministry for the poor'
For his name, he chose one that harks back eight centuries, to Italy, and to a man who renounced a life of privilege, gave away everything he owned, wore a coarse woolen tunic, lived in a hut and took a vow of poverty.
New style of papacy: Pope Francis pays hotel bill
VATICAN CITY — Pope Francis put his humility on display during his first day as pontiff Thursday, stopping by his hotel to pick up his luggage and pay the bill himself in a decidedly different style of papacy than his tradition-minded predecessor who tended to stay ensconced in the frescoed halls of the Vatican.
- Francis chooses name in honor of friend of the poor
- Commentary: Pope Francis should update Catholic economic thought
- Slate’s Explainer: how do cardinals choose which funny hat to wear?
- New pope known for simple lifestyle, conservative views
- New pope is 1st Francis, saint of peace, poverty
- More Religion Headlines