Early number sense plays role in later math skills
WASHINGTON — We know a lot about how babies learn to talk, and youngsters learn to read. Now scientists are unraveling the earliest building blocks of math — and what children know about numbers as they begin first grade seems to play a big role in how well they do everyday calculations later on.Continued ...
Antibiotic-resistant bacteria called CRE small in number but seen as deadly threat
CHICAGO - A family of drug-resistant bacteria that experts say kills up to 50 percent of people infected is spreading, prompting doctors and public health officials to step up efforts to protect patients.Continued ...
Three-day yoga breathing workshop starts Friday evening
NEW BERLIN — A three-day Yoga Breathing (Pranayama) Workshop will be offered at the Integral Yoga Center this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.Continued ...
Brominated vegetable oil in Gatorade?
SAN FRANCISCO — When PepsiCo Inc. announced it would stop putting an obscure vegetable oil in its Gatorade right before the Super Bowl, one of the loudest cheers came from a high school student who had made it her mission to get rid of the ingredient.Continued ...
- FDA head says menu labeling 'thorny' issue
- Study: Even ancient mummies had clogged arteries
- People and pooches team up to fight flab
- Myriad languages, cultures challenge health reform
- FDA halts Amgen study after teen patient death
- Evangelical Community Hospital's care pavilion proves a lifesaver
- Health coalition lists dozens of medical 'don'ts
- Slate: The mommy worry wars
- Early number sense plays role in later math skills